British Esports are looking for volunteer content writers who can cover matches played by schools and colleges in our British Esports Student Champs.
We are looking for writers in each title. These titles are:
- Overwatch 2
- Rocket League
- League of Legends
If you are someone who is passionate about esports, and looking to gain some experience in esports journalism, please look at the description below, and if interested, apply with a CV and cover letter through the form on the main volunteer application page.
Please note: We can only appoint volunteers who are not currently playing for a team in the British Esports Student Champs.
Applications close on Wednesday 31st August 2022.
- Write at least one piece for the British Esports website after your title has been streamed (on rotation every four weeks)
- Be available on match days (every Wednesday throughout the academic term) to gather information for your piece.
- Conduct interviews with students and teams if need be for quotes.
- Submit the content for publication in a timely manner.
- Follow the instructions and guidance from the Content Manager and British Esports team.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the game that you are wanting to cover (Overwatch, Rocket League, Valorant, League of Legends).
- Have some experience writing articles (whether this is personal posts, as part of a course, or as a job).
- Be proficient in spelling and grammar.
- Have a PC or laptop (with a good internet connection) to be able to work effectively.
- Be willing to try new things and learn.
- Be able to work to a deadline with a content brief.
- Work well in a team, and with the Content Manager to effectively produce and publish content on a regular basis.
- Be able to communicate effectively and professionally with staff and interviewees.
Whilst this application is specific to a game title, please state if you are comfortable writing in other titles in case we need someone to produce an article on someone else’s behalf.
If your application is successful, you will be asked to write a small piece to demonstrate your esports knowledge, and writing ability. A brief will be sent to you upon the decision to move you to the next stage of the recruitment process.
This is a predominantly writing-based role, but opportunities may come up for content in other forms.
This is a voluntary role and as such there may be other ways for you to get involved with British Esports in the future. This role is one of several volunteer positions British Esports is looking to fill around its 2022-23 season of the British Esports Student Champs.
Benefits of getting involved:
This is a great opportunity for someone looking for more experience in esports and to work on an exciting, growing gaming project within schools and colleges.
Through working for us, you can:
- Meet like-minded people.
- Help support grassroots esports.
- Inspire students in schools and colleges.
- Receive advice and network – get your foot in the door for possible future work in the esports industry.
- Gain valuable experience, as well as free safeguarding training and a DBS check. There may also be the chance for successful volunteers to receive merch discounts or other freebies in the future.