The British Esports Association is seeking volunteer video editors to help produce ‘plays of the week’ roundup videos, to showcase student talent participating in the British Esports Championships for schools and colleges.
The Spring 2020 Championships are now underway and as usual are running across three games: League of Legends, Overwatch and Rocket League. Students aged 12+ at schools and colleges in the UK can participate.
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable using video editing software, has a knack for telling a story through video and has good knowledge of the games above. We’re looking for volunteers who want to help promote our Championships with videos like the below (produced by volunteer James Axon) and get some experience. Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading!
The idea is for us to have a pool of video volunteers, a couple for Rocket League, a couple for Overwatch and a couple for League of Legends. That way we can spread work around equally and better keep on top of the content flow.
Please note this is a temporary, flexible position running from February until mid-April.
About video editors
Video editors are extremely important in the world of esports. It’s vital for teams, organisations, influencers and other companies to produce a steady stream of high quality content, and video is the most popular form of content for esports fans to consume. Because of this, a good editor will often find regular work.
Their skills can also cross over into live broadcast production.
- Produce top plays roundup videos (we will have the clips for you to edit)
- Make thumbnails for the videos
- Be able to make edits at the request of the team
- Hit deadlines (maximum one video per fortnight)
- Liaise with our School and College Liaison Officers
- Report to our Content Director and Marketing Manager
- Good understanding of either Overwatch, League of Legends or Rocket League
- Good video editing skills (comfortable using the likes of Vegas, or Premier/After Effects etc)
- Basic graphic design skills (for making thumbnails in Photoshop for example)
- Great interpersonal skills
- Respond well to instructions and work well in a team
- Must be easily contactable and responsive
- On the phone
- In Slack, our main internal method of communication
Nice to have
- Understanding of the British Esports Championships
- Knowledge of some of our participating teams
- Previous experience, whether at student level or in your spare time
- Good understanding of what makes a great highlight/recap video
Benefits of getting involved
This is a great opportunity for someone looking for more experience in esports and to work on an exciting, growing gaming project within schools and colleges. It will also give you a chance to add your stamp of personality to our content.
Through working for us, you can:
- Help support grassroots esports
- Promote and inspire students in schools and colleges
- Get your foot in the door for possible future work in the esports industry
- Receive advice and learn from the experts at British Esports
- Potentially receive a recommendation from British Esports for your CV
How to apply
Applications will close on February 10th.
We’ll also be looking to grow a stream team in the future. If you’re interested in being notified of this and other volunteer positions at British Esports, please apply using the steps above.