National Esports Performance Campus becomes home to Sunderland College in deal set to promote future digital and stem talent.
Sunderland College has announced a unique new partnership with British Esports, which will develop future talent and support Sunderland in becoming a global hub for esports.
The college and British Esports will combine their expertise to offer young people and adults the opportunity to gain the skills, knowledge and qualifications to prepare for a career in the rapidly growing esports industry and be at the forefront of new developments.
The esports courses will be delivered at a new National Esports Performance Campus (NEPC) in Sunderland from this September. The multi-million-pound arena, opposite the Stadium of Light at Riverside Sunderland, will become a centre of excellence, providing state-of-the-art facilities, training and investment that will support Sunderland, the North East and the UK to become globally-recognised and capable of attracting and developing the world’s best esports talent.
Students will have access to dedicated esports classrooms, performance rooms, streaming booths and an arena space. The new campus will also play host to regular esports events, community tournaments and summer camps and will also be used as a training base for the GB esports team.
Toni Rhodes, Principal of Sunderland College, said:
“We are delighted to be working in partnership with British Esports to ensure our students gain the best experience to prepare them for a career in this dynamic, growth sector.
“I’m looking forward to developing our relationship with British Esports in the long-term and creating more opportunities for Sunderland and our students. Together we will be at the forefront of new developments and lead the way in creating pathways for young people to progress to an exciting career in esports and other digital industries.”
British Esports is a not-for-profit national body, established in 2016, to promote esports in the UK. CEO, Chester King, said:
“British Esports has long recognised education as one of the key pillars of a successful esports ecosystem. From our Esports BTEC to our Student Champs, our relationship within education has been incredibly rewarding.
“We recognise the value that this partnership not only brings to Sunderland and the wider community across the North East, but to the whole UK esports community. Sunderland students will get to rub shoulders with esports teams and professionals, along with industry leaders, which I am certain will provide them with a wonderful day to day experience. We look forward to welcoming the college and their students to the campus in September.”
Esports is a rapidly growing industry and for the first time this year, the upcoming Commonwealth Games will feature a pilot esports competition. The Commonwealth Esports Championships will take place at the International Convention Centre in Birmingham on the 6th and 7th of August 2022. A global esports conference supported British Esports will also take place prior to the Commonwealth Games on the 5th of August 2022.
Sunderland College is recruiting now for September 2022 entry and offering a 1-year Level 2 Esports Diploma and a 2-year Level 3 Esports Extended Diploma.
About British Esports
- British Esports is a not-for-profit organisation established in 2016 to support and promote esports in the UK.
- As a national body, its aims are to foster future British talent, increase the awareness of esports and provide expertise and advice. It’s focused on the grassroots level of esports and is not a governing body.
- British Esports helps educate the masses – including parents, teachers, media and government – around what esports is and what its benefits are. Its three goals are to promote, improve and inspire.
About Sunderland College
- Sunderland College is one of the largest providers of post-16 education in the North East with approximately 14,300 students. It was awarded BTEC College of the Year 2019 by Pearson, the UK’s largest awarding body.
- The College has three campuses across the city of Sunderland, and a sixth form in Hartlepool, offering a wide range of academic and vocational provision for school leavers and adults.
- The College aims to develop and positively shape lives, communities and the economy through teaching, learning and development of skills.
- The College has strong collaborative partnerships with employers and the local community and contributes positively to the city and region.
- Sunderland College is part of Education Partnership North East, one of the largest college groups in the country.
For more information contact:
Media & Communications Officer
0191 511 6000 ext. 08079
Senior PR & Communications Officer
0191 511 6000 ext. 05960