British Esports Association’s CEO and two members of its advisory board have been appointed members of the Global Esports Federation’s recently announced Education, Culture and Wellness Commission.
Chester King, British Esports CEO and founder and member of the board of the GEF, will chair the Commission (pictured, centre). He will be joined by fellow GEF Board Member Tyrone Seward as vice chair.
Members of the Commission also include British Esports advisory board members Professor Andy Miah from the University of Salford (pictured left) and Mark ‘Garvey’ Candella, director of student and education programs at Twitch (pictured right).
The Commission will advise the Global Esports Federation (GEF) Board – leading the detailed work that emphasises the importance of inclusion, diversity, fairness, sustainability, as well as the health and wellbeing of the esports community.
By placing these values at the core of the GEF’s mission, the Federation says it will contribute in discussions on ‘more effective ways to mobilise society at large’, convening the esports community and demonstrating esports as a catalyst for all kinds of social good.
The Commission will also tap into the esports community to encourage mutual learning and involvement in GEF’s activities, as well as supporting education and learning institutions worldwide to grow esports for future generations.
The GEF recently announced eight Commissions – comprising over 70 individuals from around the world, volunteering their time and expertise – to further its mission to convene the world’s esports ecosystem.
The Education, Culture and Wellness Commission is supported by members with incredibly diverse backgrounds, from experts in esports, sports, corporate governance, technology, to business.
Some of the core members of the Commission include:
- Nicholas Khoo – Co-founder of Yup.gg and SCOGA.org; former competitive esports player
- HRH Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan Abdulaziz Al Saud – President of the Saudi Arabian Federation for Electronic and Intellectual Sports (SAFEIS) and the Arab eSports Federation
- Professor Andy Miah – Co-Chair of the Esports Industry Collaboration programme at the University of Salford, Manchester; Advisory Board Member of the British Esports Association; and Director of Esports Science Insights
- Melita N. Moore, M.D. – Sports Medicine/eSports Medicine Physician and International Speaker @levelupdoctor
- Catherine Ugwu, MBE – Executive Producer and Creative Director (Betty Productions), producing some of the world’s largest ceremonies and events, including the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Mark “Garvey” Candella – Director of Student and Education Programs, Twitch
- Dr. Yang Yue – Director of Esports Research Centre, China, Institute of Sport Science
- Mark J.W. Lee – Educational Gaming and VR/AR Expert
- E Chenyang – Gamer and Esports Entrepreneur
Chester King, chair of the GEF Education, Culture and Wellness Commission and British Esports CEO and founder, commented: “Esports is all about the community and its pivotal role in its continued growth. The Global Esports Federation aims to elevate esports and promote it as a beneficial activity for all. There are no borders and boundaries within esports in a #worldconnected; anyone can participate regardless of age, gender, or background.
“The role of the Education, Culture and Wellness Commission is essential in educating, promoting, improving, and inspiring people around the world, and establishing a strong foundation where esports can continue to thrive in a safe, healthy, and sustainable environment.”
Launched on December 16th 2019 in Singapore, the Global Esports Federation says it proudly draws on the diverse range of experience and expertise from the world of esports and the sporting community, to help develop the credibility, legitimacy, and prestige of esports in society.
Tencent, one of the world’s leading technology companies, is the Founding Global Partner of the GEF. The Federation was founded to further elevate the future of esports, bringing the global community together through a #worldconnected.